Tuesday, May 01, 2012

WTH Is Going On With Iowa City Parking Ramps

I was going to write about my heart attack last June 4th and the subsequent chronic heart failure that I am now dealing with and how to help others avoid this outcome, but something else has come to my attention.
I will write about the above mentioned heart problems soon, but really I am trying to assist a nice person keep her job and would like to let you all know of the horrible experience I had today while using the parking ramp by the Sheraton/Bread Garden/Library.
I dropped Melissa off at the library and ran to the pharmacy at the hospital and upon my return I parked on level 2 of the aforementioned city parking ramp. I then went to the library and got a book. Melissa and I headed back to the parking ramp and there is a machine that indicates that you must put the ticket into it, whereupon you pay, and have 15 minutes to exit the ramp.
The only problem with the above scenario is that the stupid machine did not work. It sucked in the parking ticket and then indicated it was not valid. It would not release it, nor would it allow us to pay to get out of the ramp.I was extremely upset, because I had not used a parking ramp since 2003 when I lived on Iowa Avenue and managed the Bruegger's Bagel Bakery there, so i was not familiar with this new technological acheivement.
Melissa struggled with the machine, while I tried to figure out what to do next. After a good 20 minutes of this nonsense of trying to coaxe the ticket back out of the recalcitrant machine, she succeeded. We the drove to the exit where an actual person was working. She was a very pleasant blonde lady, who told us that the machine messes up all the time and what was most disturbing is that she said, the machine was going to be her replacement.
WTH!! Why would the city replace a perfectly competent person, in favor of a machine that did not work on my first attempt. I do not understand the stupidity involved in this decision. I know for a fact if I was not a resident of Iowa City and came here to shop or for anything and had a problem like I did with their intelligent machine, I would not use the parking ramp ever again, no matter how many times I would have to drive around the block to park somewhere safer.
Is there others out there who have had similar BAD experiences with this parking machine and if so please let the city know, so that they will NOT replace the very good workers that they currently have, but will remove these moronic machines, that don't even work while they are new. Can you imagine how bad they will function when they get some age on them. There will be people trapped in the parking ramps on a daily, perhaps an hourly basis.
Let us make known to the "geniuses" that approved these parking machines  that the best way to represent our city and get people to use the parking ramps is to make sure that we have a flesh and blood attendant in the ramps when things go wrong.
Have a great day and again I want to thank the young lady in the parking ramp for helping with the messed up ticket.

No comments: