Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Honoring 9/11 Victims

The "cool" person of the week segment will return next week as we honor the memories of the victim's and heroes of 9/11.

If actions speak louder than elegy, it tells you where we are that the team coverage on the eve of the 6th anniversary of 9/11 alternated between General Petraeus' performance on Capitol Hill and Britney Spears' performance at the MTV Video Music Awards. Osama returned to prime time, only to be mocked for his "impotence" and apparent need for Grecian Formula. A New Jersey community that lost 100 people that day has had to delay expansion of its memorial because fundraising fell short. September 11 falls once again on a Tuesday, we are six years away from the fire, and wondering what that means.

There is much being made of a USA Today poll that shows that many people are forgetting about 9/11 and its aftermath. I think that is not the case, but the truth is we as humans, do move on after tragedies. I have lost all of my grandparents, and my parents, and as each of them died I thought I would too, but it didn't happen, and I moved on. I do not dwell on their deaths everyday, but they are in my thoughts on occasion, and I feel sad for a while, and then it is back to the present. I feel great grief for these families as their dear ones died without notice and in such a horrendous way, that I am sure it makes coping that much harder.

Perhaps some people will forget, but there are many of us who will live our lives, with their memories quietly in the background of our own lives, and we shall live for them, so they can be assured we remember them. God Bless and Rest In Peace!!


honor

No comments: