Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Bring Your Gun To Work Under New Florida Bill


Here is an interesting little story from Florida, which I was just reading at Yahoo News, concerning additional gun rights for Florida residents.

The story says most Florida residents would be allowed to take guns to work under a measure passed by Florida lawmakers on Wednesday.


The bill, allowing workers to keep guns in their cars for self-protection, was approved by the Florida Senate by a vote of 26-13. It now goes to Republican Gov. Charlie Crist to sign into law.

Backed by the National Rifle Association and some labor unions, the so-called "take-your-guns-to-work" measure would prohibit business owners from banning guns kept locked in motor vehicles on their private property.

I have never been to Florida, but always find it odd when they liberalize their gun laws. I guess I think of the vacationing paradise as being more amenable to surf boards, and beach towels, than guns, and Texas and the West as "gun" havens. A little too much stereotypical thinking on my part. I find this law very important for law abiding Floridians, and their criminal counterparts, because if this bill becomes law, criminals will not be sure who is and who isn't armed and ready to fight back. It may be a good thing for the most part, but I was thinking that this might backfire, and make the criminals more aggressive, and more prone to use violence~~thinking that their victim "has" a gun.

Now I have been a gun owner in the past, though I do not have any now, nor do I see a need to have one anymore, though I have friends who have them for protection, target practice, and hunting, and they seem to be responsible with them. I guess I have just gotten more cautious over the years, and think that if I was confronted by a criminal with a weapon, that I would probably just give them the wallet, and remain calm enough to not get myself hurt or killed. I guess it is just old age and self-preservation setting in, instead of impulse ruling me these days.

Anyway, This will be a story to follow, and see how Floridians fare under this "new" eased gun bill!


Bring Your Gun To Work Under New Florida Bill

No comments: