Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Riverside Iowa Soldiers Case To Be Reopened


There is a story in the Iowa Press-Citizen, by Kathryn Feigen, on a follow up to the Riverside, Iowa soldier, who the Army said had committed suicide, which begins with:

The mother of a fallen Riverside soldier said today that her family has won a small victory against an Army investigation that found he killed himself in Iraq.


Yvette Eastom, of Glenpool, Okla., said she will meet with Army officials tonight regarding the death of her son, Sgt. James Musack, formerly of Riverside.


Initial reports said Musack, 23, was killed in a non-combat related incident Nov. 21, 2006, in Samarra, Iraq. He was serving his second tour of duty in Iraq with the 4th Infantry Division out of Fort Hood, Texas.

Now I don't know if anyone else wrote their Representatives and requested a new investigation, but the following is the contents of a letter I received from Senator Tom Harkin, which was dated April 2, 2008.
My name and address
Dear Daniel:
Thank you for contacting my office and telling me of your concerns regarding the United States Army's ruling in the death of Sgt. James Musack of Riverside. I certainly can understand the interest in this matter.
My staff is very familiar with this situation and is working with the family. Rest assured, I will do all I can to ensure every consideration is given to this matter.
I appreciate the time you took to contact me. If I can be of assistance with any other federal matter, please feel free to contact my office again. Best wishes.
Sincerely,
Tom
Tom Harkin
United States Senator

I was glad to hear from Senator Harkin as he has been helpful on a few other issues in the past. I was surprised to not hear back from Senator Grassley, has he was very helpful in other issues, that I have contacted him about in the past
I have not heard from Congressman Loebsack, or President Bush, at this time, but will update with any information they might provide.
Please continue to pressure our elected officials to get a fair, impartial investigation into this young man's death. Thank You.

The Full Story Is Available At The Link Provided HERE.

No comments: