Thursday, December 06, 2007

An Honest CIA Director


I am just getting back from a two day coma, as I rested and slept to get ready for the final three week rush to Christmas. I truly could have used another day, but it was not to be. In addition, the wonderful winter ice and snow provided me with a pratfall, landing squarely on my back, knocking the wind out of me, and injuring my bones. The day is wearing on and I am stiffening up, and hurting in my back, ribs, and spine. Fun!!

I was just reading the story about the CIA, and the open and honest remarks made by their Director, Mr. Michael Hayden. I found his candor refreshing, and hope that he continues to work with the oversight committees as well as he seems to be right now.

The story says that the CIA videotaped its interrogations of two top terror suspects in 2002 and destroyed the tapes three years later out of fear they would leak to the public and compromise the identities of U.S. questioners, the director of the agency told employees Thursday.


CIA Director Michael Hayden said House and Senate intelligence committee leaders were informed of the existence of the tapes and the CIA's intention to destroy them. He also said the CIA's internal watchdog watched the tapes in 2003 and verified that the interrogation practices were legal.

In an administration that plays fast and loose with the truth, it is nice to see someone go against type, and actually do the right thing. It looks like Director Hayden, and the CIA may be on the right path, and that can only be good for America, which has had severe issues in the past.


tapes

No comments: