Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Are Ghosts Real Update


Those things that go bump in the night? About one-third of people believe they could be ghosts. And nearly one out of four, 23 percent, say they've actually seen a ghost or felt its presence, finds a pre-Halloween poll by The Associated Press and Ipsos.

I found this story interesting as Halloween is right around the corner. I think this year my girlfriend and I, are going to finally sit in a cemetary with a tape recorder, and record to hear if their are any ghosts around the area, also called EVP's. Electronic Voice Phenomena (EVP) concerns unexpected voices found in recording media. It is a form of after death communication. ITC is a newer term that includes all of the ways these unexpected voices and images are collected through technology, including EVP. Of the many hypotheses designed to explain these phenomena, the Survival Hypothesis has been found to be most effective in answering the evidence. What is the Survival Hypothesis? The Survival Hypothesis holds that we are nonphysical entities who are able to exist in the physical aspect of reality because of our physical body, but that when our physical body dies, we as Self, change our point of view to nonphysical reality. In effect, we exist before and after our current lifetime.

If you remember, this was the premise of the Michael Keaton movie, "White Noise" from 2005.The plot is that the pregnant wife of the architect Jonathan Reeves (Michael Keaton) is missed after a car accident near a cliff, and the police do not know whether she is dead or abducted. Some weeks later, a mysterious man comes to Jonathan and tells him that his wife is dead and had communicated with him through Electronic Voice Phenomena. Sooner Jonathan is informed by the police that her body was found in the sea near a harbor, and the tormented grieving Jonathan decides to try to contact her using uncontrolled E.V.P and jeopardizing his own life. So if you want to watch a pretty good spooky film about ghosts this might be a good one for you.

Anyway, I'll let you know if we do it and what the results were. However, my only other fear of doing this, is the fact that most of those B movie plots start out with people going into a cemetary, and then a slasher or any number of monsters sets about killing them?! We'll hope for a better outcome!!

The update to the story and the reason it has taken so long is as follows. We got to the cemetary about 11:45 p.m. Halloween night and set up the tape recorder and then drove to the other side of the cemetary and waited. We did not get in and out of the auto, so as to not create any ambient sounds that might be picked up by the recorder, even though we were probably 500 yards away. It was kind of spooky sitting there and just waiting.
I have a very vivid imagination, so all of my spooky fears were running through my mind and I spent the better part of an hour waiting for someone to come crashing through the window, and kill us. My girlfriend is the stable one, so she just thought it was fun.

I started the auto and we picked up the recorder about 1:00pm, as I wanted to make sure the tape had run out and the recorder would be turned off completely. We picked it up and right away my girlfriend wanted to hear it. I said let's please just wait until we are on the road and a good distance from the cemetary. Still had the spooky yips, if you know what I mean. Anyway, she never listens to me, so she rewound the tape, and began playing it. There was the familiar hiss of "white noise" for the next several minutes, and then a voice/noise that spooked me and made me drive erratically for a second or two. Told I'm a scaredy cat, anyway right as the voice/noise played, the tape recorder stopped playing. She tried everything to get it to work, even put in a backup set of new batteries, but it would not play. She even tried ejecting the tape and resetting it into the player, but it would not come out, at all. She finally gave up as she was afraid she would break or ruin the tape of she kept tugging on it.

We got home and tried to plug it in, figuring it just needed some ac current to get it playing..No Luck, nothing at all and the tape would not budge either. By 4 am we gave up and I figured I would have a "geek" friend of mine who fixes electronics take a look at it the next day. He was off thursday and I finally stopped by and gave it to him on Saturday on my way to work. He called later in the day and said he would probably have to take the player completely apart to get the tape out, and would have to do it later as he was busy doing "real work" LOL, but would call me when it was out and ready to be played again.

I have waited until today to deliver and update, but when he got the tape out and tried to replay the tape it would not move. He is going to try and find time this week to take the tape apart and repair whatever is causing it to be stuck.. As soon as we get to HEAR the tape, I shall update again and let you know what the heck the voice said that stopped the player and ruined the tape!! Thanks!

No comments: