Saturday, February 16, 2008

Easy Computer Backups


I found this first story this morning, after I finally got a hook up with Panera, (had to wait two hours), and because I have had so many problems with computers, and losing data, files, etc., I thought this might be a good story to post first today.

It begins with a "reader" asking Mark with Yahoo Tech Support the following question:
Reader Mark asks: Should I make a complete backup of my hard drive to avoid the hassle and the time of reloading from OEM disks, in the event of a catastrophic failure? In addition to the obvious programs requiring reinstallation, how can I quickly reload the really technical stuff-like DSL settings and printer settings-that's been tweaked over the years to just how I like it? I am very interested to get your input as to what exactly to back up and the best way to back up that information. Thanks for your time.


In the beginning of your question, you ask if you should back up system files and programs. All that data you didn't create takes up a lot of space, and getting it reinstalled properly can be difficult.The easiest way to make a full backup is to "clone" your hard drive. Cloning gives you an identical copy of your drive as it exists right now. If your drive crashes, you can clone the backup drive onto a new drive, and it will be like nothing ever happened.

I hope this helps you with your computer back-ups, and I am going to follow his instructions as soon as I get home tomorrow evening! Have A Great Saturday, and for Midwestern readers, "May you enjoy your Saturday, before the Big Storm hits, beginning this evening!! Take Care!!


backups

No comments: