Saturday, February 09, 2008

Wiihabilitation


I found this next story very interesting as I have had to undergo physical rehabilitation two times. Once after a near fatal auto accident, and years of rehab, just to function, re-learn how to walk, etc., and the second after a ruptured disk from my work activities. I read this article and think that either time would have been much better if there was such a game system to work with. So onto the story of Wii-rehab:

Some call it "Wiihabilitation." Nintendo's Wii video game system, whose popularity already extends beyond the teen gaming set, is fast becoming a craze in rehab therapy for patients recovering from strokes, broken bones, surgery and even combat injuries.

The usual stretching and lifting exercises that help the sick or injured regain strength can be painful, repetitive and downright boring. In fact, many patients say PT, physical therapy's nickname, really stands for "pain and torture," said James Osborn, who oversees rehabilitation services at Herrin Hospital in southern Illinois.

I have recently purchased a Wii, but have not yet opened it. I am waiting to get ALL of the extras and then open it on a special occasion, though currently I cannot think of one. Anyway, I hope you find this article interesting and inspiring for how a "game" system can be used to better others!! Take Care, (In the Midwest) as The Artic Wind Blast is Starting Up!! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! :(

Thanks!!


wii

No comments: