Sunday, August 19, 2007

Ground Zero Blaze Claims 2 And A Firemans Prayer

Another day of sadness and loss near ground zero, as a blaze killed two firefighters in an abandoned skyscraper being dismantled next to the World Trade Center.The governor said Sunday, that the blaze may have been harder to combat because of plastics required by a federal agency to control asbestos.

The blaze broke out Saturday on the 17th floor of the former Deutsche Bank office building, which has been a toxic site since it was damaged by falling wreckage when the trade center's twin towers collapsed and contaminated by toxic dust.

The firefighters who died, Robert Beddia, 53, and Joseph Graffagnino, 33, were trapped and inhaled a great deal of smoke, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said.

The collapse of the twin Trade Center towers across the street killed 343 firefighters. Eleven of them came from the same firehouse where Beddia and Graffagnino were based.

Yesterday we had the sad news that they will probably not be able to reach the miners for quite sometime, whether they are alive or dead, and that it cost the lives of three more miners, who had been working in the rescue operation.

Below is a "fireman's prayer" and a link to a prayer called the "rescuer's prayer" by Angela Kaye Boyce, as well as a very moving website for 9/11 victim's and other information about the great sacrifice of firefighter's and recuer's. It is a somber weekend and a moment of thought or prayer cannot hurt. Take care!


A Fireman's Prayer
When I am called to duty, God,
Whenever flames may rage;
Give me strength to save some life,
Whatever be its age.
Help me embrace a little child
Before it is too late
Or save an older person
From the horror of that fate.
Enable me to be alert
And hear the weakest shout,
And quickly and efficiently
To put the fire out.
I want to fill my calling
And to give the best in me
To guard my every neighbor
And protect his property.
And if, according to my fate,
I am to lose my life,
Please bless with your protecting
My children and my wife.
- Author Unknown


rescuers

No comments: